Where it all began
Roadcraft was founded in 1920 by Mr H J Carey for the purpose of manufacturing electric cargo trucks for use mainly on the Merseyside docks.
The original manufactory was situated in Knowsley Road but so quickly did the business expand that in 1933 it became necessary to move to much larger premises at 8-18 Strand Road Bootle, where the company remains to this day.
The start of Mobile Crane Hire
Due to manpower difficulties caused by an exceptional number of employees enlisting in the armed forces at the outbreak of the Second World War, the management closed down the manufacturing side of the business and concentrated on building up their hire fleet.
Shortly after the war ended in 1945, the company further extended its activities by operating a fleet of small mobile cranes available to hire.
Mr C H Moors was appointed as a director in 1955 and served as Chairman of the board from 1966 following the death of our founder Mr Carey in 1966.
Mr C H Moors served as Chairman until his death in 1969 when the Company Secretary Mr A G Thomas became Chairman, a position which he holds to this day.
In 1955 the next generation was introduced to Roadcraft in Mr C H Moors’ son, Paul Moors. Paul started out as apprentice fitter and made his way up through the ranks to become a director in 1971. Paul Moors remains Managing Director of Roadcraft and is heavily involved in the day to day running of the business along with Finance Director Mike Caine who was appointed in 2015.
Paul & Mike are supported by their Sales, Hire Desk, Finance and Workshop teams and of course our crane operators. Look out for our new ‘Our Team’ page which is currently under contruction.